Friday, April 19, 2013

Cookie Cups - the UNfail

It's unFail day here in the kitchen.

I decided I'm going to try both chocolate chip cookie cups and the sugar cookie cups.
My guess is the chocolate chip will fail, as they are usually a drop cookie (they spread as they bake), and the sugar cookie cups...well Wilton made them work, so why can't I?

I skipped the dough mixing process, I figure you all can figure that one out. I used a basic chocolate chip recipe and the sugar cookie recipe from my last post.
Note: The kitchen I was working in has a flat top stove, so I just used it as a work station.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE CUPS

ROLLED OUT, MOLDED, AFTER 9 MINUTES IN THE OVEN
First I rolled the dough to about 1/8" thick (sorry chef's, no rulers in my kitchen).

I did this using a sheet of wax paper.

Then I had my "helper" (aka mom) spray the outside of the cup with nonstick spray.

Next I took the cookie dough and laid it across the top of the cupcake pan, smoothing out and down the cup.

I trimmed the edges using a butter knife, and popped the whole tray in the freezer for 5 minutes.

5 MINUTES IN THE OVEN, TRIMMED AND COOLED, NAILED IT!


I put it in the oven (with a cookie sheet underneath just in case) at 350°F for 9 minutes to start with.

Good thing I put that cookie sheet down there, it melted down quite a bit. 

When the timer went off, it didn't look done to me, so I put it back in for another 3 minutes. 

When I took it out, I trimmed the edges again, let it cool, and tried to remove the cookie from the mold. 


FAIL. 
I'm not sure if it was the dough, or lack of nonstick spray, but the chocolate chip was a bust.

In keeping with pinterest fail tradition, I added the "NAILED IT!" text to my photo.
Thankfully the sugar cookie cups were much more successful.


SUGAR COOKIE CUPS

IGNORE THE CHOCOLATE MESS ON THAT COOKIE SHEET
After mixing the dough I put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes to chill.

Next I used a lightly floured surface to roll it out to 1/8" thick.

I sprayed the cupcake tins with nonstick spray myself this time (probably overdid it a bit trying to make sure the cups didn't stick).

Again, I laid the dough on the top of the mold, and smoothed/pressed it into place. 

I trimmed the dough around the bottom, and popped the whole tray in the freezer for 5 minutes.
COOKIE CUP + STRAWBERRIES + WHIPPED CREAM = YUM
I removed the tray from the freezer and put it in the oven at 350°F for 11 minutes.

These melted down somewhat, but did not drip like the chocolate chip.

When the timer went off I took them out, I trimmed the edges again and let it cool for 10 minutes.

Then I tried to remove the cookie from the mold.




SUCCESS!
I'm not sure if it was the extra nonstick spray, or the fact that sugar cookies don't usually spread as much as chocolate chip cookies do, but as far as the cookie cups go, I am calling this an UNfail.

No comments:

Post a Comment